A unique journey through three countries to discover the fascinating similarities and differences. From the Venetian charm of Rovinj in Croatia’s Istria region and the lush Slovenian countryside towards Friuli. You’ll visit family run wineries and olive groves and taste the very best this delightful corner of Europe has to offer.
- Trip Outline
The first of our new international gourmet & culture journeys is an expedition through this scenic natural crossroads of cultures, religions, languages. From the Venetian charm of Rovinj in Croatia’s Istria region and the lush Slovenian countryside towards Friuli. This scenic corner of North-East Italy is beloved by locals and the few wise travelers who venture out of Venice towards the mighty Alps and the Austria-Slovenia border. A plethora of UNESCO-heritage sites from Roman to Austro-Hungarian and WW1 times will grant plenty of interesting discoveries to visit in pleasant day trips from our family-run winery estates.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites included: Aquileia Roman site and Basilica of the Patriarchs, Cividale del Friuli, a Longobard seat of power, Poreč historic center, Pula amphitheater and tentative-listed sites Motovun and the Škocjan Caves (optional)
- Olive oil experience in Istria, winery visits in Friuli.
- Outdoor activities (optional, upon agreement with participants and subject to meteorological conditions): light hike across wine hills in Friuli Colli Orientali and in Škocjan Caves area, sailing in Rovinj area, truffle hunt with dogs and professional hunters
- “Drunken cheese” is a delicacy typical of the Italian hilly area which were theatre of the epic WW1 battles: during a day discovering these historic sites (even Ernest Hemingway served here) , an expert cheesemaker will show you the secrets and above all the taste of these finger-licking delights
Gourmet Tour Package including daily guiding and tasting experiences
6 lunches or equivalent
4 dinners or equivalent
- 3 Nights Accommodation in Istria
- 3 Nights Accommodation in Friuli
- Flights to and from Europe
- Tips for Tour Guides and Drivers
- Travel Insurance
- 2 evening meals (daytime tastings and other activities make these very ‘optional’)
Flights are not included in our tours. You will need to get yourself to the starting point for the tour. We suggest checking the website of your favorite airline or comparing flight options on Skyscanner.net.
Certainly! We can prepare an itinerary for your extension that includes time on either end of your small group tour in any number of wonderful Italian and other European cities. Just let us know how many days you have and where you'd like to go, We can also take care of getting you to the start point of the tour.
If you are already in Italy, we can arrange for you to be picked up anywhere along the route between the arrival airport and the first overnight destination at no extra cost, depending on timing. If you would like us to make other transportation arrangements for you an extra cost would be incurred.
We can arrange for a drop-off anywhere along the route to the departure airport at no additional cost or for an additional fee, a transfer/transportation to anywhere else you would like to get to.
We have run these tours for a number of years now and have found from experience that on some days, especially when there is a tasting experience later on in the day, people don't have much room for dinner after these wonderful feasts. To avoid force-feeding our guests (that's a French thing, and they only do it to geese) we have left out a couple of evening meals. These coincide with a stay somewhere where it is easy to get a snack or smaller meal, so you won't go hungry. It also gives you an evening off from the rest of the group, and your guide.
Yes, subject to availability of rooms, we welcome solo travelers on our trips. The single supplement varies from trip to trip, please contact us for further details.
We can arrange a private version of any of our itineraries, subject to availability. We can even customize the content. Please contact us for pricing.
Although all our present calendar of tours is led exclusively by Daniele, we have two support staff based in Italy in addition to over 20 customer support staff throughout Central & Eastern Europe. If you extend your trip, for that segment you will be taken care of by the highly experienced JayWay team and your tours and transfers will be provided by our tried & tested local partners throughout Europe.